Thursday, December 2, 2010

Stop the clocks..


 My brother in law died this weekend.
To us he was many things and we are devastated.
Leaving behind a beautiful wife, three young daughters, immediate family, in laws and many many friends.



Funeral Blues
 'Stop the Clocks'

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last for ever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.
For nothing now can ever come to any good.

by W.H. Auden

  Click on this link

by VNV Nation "From my hands"
It is a beautiful piece of music and an enchanting video.
photo 1 souce via 
photo 2 source via

6 comments:

  1. I'm so very sorry to hear such sad, sad news.

    My unknown but very heartfelt sympathies to your sister and her family. And of course to you.

    Nobody says it more beautifully than Auden.

    Big Hug from Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss - how tragic. My thoughts and prayers to all of you and big big hugs xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to read of this terrible tragedy for your extended family, I have always thought that poem touches the anguish so accurately, and it is perhaps a final tribute to those we love so much that we feel their loss so desperately. Thinking of you, Belinda x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so sorry to read this...what a sad time for your family.
    A lovely poem by Auden...very meaningful.

    Thoughts and prayers for all that have been affected.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry! It's so hard to find the words when these moments come along. I'll be thinking of you...

    I'm so so very sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ladies, all your words are so kind and thoughtful. Thank you so much Sinead xxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment(I do appreciate it!)

Related Posts with Thumbnails